Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patch to enable country information tag patch in802.11

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:54:59 -0700

On Sep 19, 2003, at 5:34 AM, Schipper, Martijn (GSPN) wrote:

That looks good. The only problem could be that the line with all this
information is getting too long. That is the problem with this tag
decoding I am facing all the time: the field wlan_mgt.tag.interpretation
contains too much information. Does anybody know how to split this up?
What I do now is create multiple lines with wlan_mgt.tag.interpretation
but I think that filtering on this will fail.

That's another thing I was thinking needs to be cleaned up.

The right way to do it is probably *NOT* to just output the interpretation as a text string, which is what we're doing now.

The right way to do it is probably:

for tagged parameters with a single field, put that field into the tree (but have *separate* named fields for different parameters, e.g. wlan_mgt.tag.ssid for TAG_SSID);

for tagged parameters with multiple subfields (e.g., the supported rates parameter, with a list of multiple rates, and the frequency hopping parameter, with multiple subparameters), either put the individual fields into the tree as individual named fields, or create a subtree, put the individual fields into that subtree as individual named fields, and either just give the subtree a generic tag or append information about the subfields to its tag.