Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Conversation functionality (was: Ethereal-dev] TimeReference fram

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:56:39 +0200
Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
>For the wish list, can someone remove this entry:
>7, Conversations.
>I belive we have implemented this wish now.

Thank you very very very much for the "Conversation" functionality (formerly known as IO-Users/TopTalkers).

I have used this functionality from Teteheral during some months and it has been really helpful for analysing traces.
It's very good that the functionality is now integrated into Ethereal and improved even further.

There are some more improvements that I would like to see sometime in the future. However these items are not on the top of my wish-list/to-do-list.
I don't think that I will have time to do so much about them in the near future, but maybe there is someone else that is interested in implementing some of this:

1)
A possibility to see the duration between the first frame and last frame for each "Conversation" (in seconds) and
maybe also the first and last frame number for each "Conversation".

2)
A possibility to save the "Conversation" table from Ethereal in text format similar to the output you get from Tethereal.
Currently I make a screen-shot or use Tethereal.

3)
A new tap-ified "Follow TCP stream" functionality that could be started as today or from the Conversation list.
If you mark a TCP conversation in the Conversation list you should then get a menu item "Follow TCP Stream" .
A new window should then open with the "Follow TCP stream" output.

4)
It would be really nice with a "Follow UDP stream" functionality as well.