Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ITU/ANSI TCAP dissector (-Wno-return-type on Solaris)

From: Jeff Morriss <morriss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:34:56 -0400

Guy Harris wrote:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:15:52AM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:

BTW, on Solaris 8, 'gcc' is called with "-Wno-return-type" so some of us don't see these warnings by default...

The comment in configure.in says

	# the X11 headers don't automatically include prototype info
	# and a lot don't include the return type

Perhaps Sun need to pick up some X11 headers that antedate 1988 or so? The ones I've seen on other UNIXes don't seem to lack prototype
information.  (I forget whether the Solaris ones I saw lacked them or
needed some special #define to be turned on to get them.  In either
case, it's 2003, and it's time for Sun to stop worrying about C
compilers that can't handle function prototypes, if they haven't already
done so.)

If they've done so in Solaris 8 or 9, we might want to see if we can add
that flag only in older versions.

I tested Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 and only got this kind of warning:

/usr/openwin/include/X11/Xlib.h:2063: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `XSetTransientForHint'

on Solaris 2.6 .

Of course, even when I added "-Wno-return-type" I still got the warning, so I'd guess it's safe to remove for all versions of Solaris (>= 2.6, anyway).