Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches to add interface descriptions

From: Nathan Jennings <njen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:06:31 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:

I assume that, on Windows, the default interface description is the one that comes from Winpcap.

Yes, that's right (although I haven't tested it on Windows). If there isn't a user-supplied description for an interface, then whatever text "get_interface_list()" retrieved is simply copied with no changes.

1) I'm not sure if Windows/Unicode requires special string handling in the code I've submitted. If so, my patches do not handle it.

As long as the descriptions come from the stuff returned by "get_interface_list()", they're all ASCII.

They do, in addition to "gtk_editable_get_chars()", which is used to get the string from the "Description:" text entry widget. I don't know if my code needs to handle something here due to wide/Unicode character sets, non-ASCII/English characters, etc. Maybe some conversion check/function?

2) In "capture_prefs.c", I use a CList widget that's never added to a window and displayed (I don't call "gtk_container_add()" for it). I use it as a table to store option values as they're edited by the user. Do I need to manually deallocate/free this widget somehow?

A CList widget is a rather heavyweight item to use if all you want to do is store the current settings. I'd get rid of the CList.
I thought it might be... sorry. :o( I'll work on replacing it with something lighter.

Thanks for all of your help and input.

-Nathan