Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches to add interface descriptions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:38:04 -0700

On Sep 7, 2003, at 9:50 PM, Nathan Jennings wrote:

Attached are diff files I've created against 0.9.14. The patches allow the edit/display of optional, user-defined interface descriptions via the capture preferences dialog. The descriptions are shown in the drop-down list of interfaces in the capture dialog.

Checked in, but with all the new routines made static rather than declared in header files.

I assume that, on Windows, the default interface description is the one that comes from Winpcap.

1) I'm not sure if Windows/Unicode requires special string handling in the code I've submitted. If so, my patches do not handle it.

As long as the descriptions come from the stuff returned by "get_interface_list()", they're all ASCII.

2) In "capture_prefs.c", I use a CList widget that's never added to a window and displayed (I don't call "gtk_container_add()" for it). I use it as a table to store option values as they're edited by the user. Do I need to manually deallocate/free this widget somehow?

A CList widget is a rather heavyweight item to use if all you want to do is store the current settings. I'd get rid of the CList.