Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Another Windows-only sniffer: PacScope ...

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:14:00 -0600
I believe that it all depends on your job function and what you are using Ethereal for...

I use Ethereal to analyze customer traces. But I have customers use it to aquire the trace. I know of consultants who use it for analysis of network performance, etc...

It would be great to have the ability for Ethereal to accept triggers and to be able to set alarms. Most comercial tools do this.

But still I believe that Ethereal is well enough baked to earn at least a 1.0 release. :@)

Greg

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Andreas Sikkema wrote:

> Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > imagine that most people who use Ethereal seriously use it for its
> > analysis capabilities rather than for capturing.
>
> You are wrong ;-). Most people I know and we use Ethereal daily (eh
> hourly, er very minute some days) never, ever use tethereal. I have
> never seen anyone use it acutally...

OK, I am glad to be proven wrong, but personally, because I am grabbing
big captures from GigE links, I typically use tcpdump to grab them and
then analyse them in Ethereal.

Regards
-----