Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] GDI resource leak on Windows when scrolling

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:21:37 +0200
Hello all,

R. Alan Monroe wrote:
> Windows 2000
> Ethereal 0.9.13a
> gtk-1.3.dll version 1.3.0.50
>
> To reproduce, display GDI resource column in task manager, then
> arrange your windows so both windows are visible. Scroll any of
> ethereal's panes up and down 10 or so times. Your GDI count should
> increase by several hundred if not a few thousand. Also try scrolling
> any of the panes by highlighting a row then using the cursor keys to
> move one row at a time. Each row you move that scrolls the screen
> should increase the GDI resources by 1.

I can reproduce this as well with ethereal 0.9.13a
I cannot reproduce it with self-compiled ethereal using glib-2.2.1 and newer gtk-1.3.0! GDI resources just increase by 1! So it seems to be fixed there. Today I found out that the newer gtk-1.3 library can also handle 256 colours! I also see official Ethereal sometimes crashing with BlueScreen on WinNT! But I have never seen this since I use the new library.

So I suggest, that official Ethereal for Windows should also use glib 2.2.1 and newer gtk 1.3.0. There will be no change in look and feel of Ethereal, as this is still GTK 1 and NOT GTK 2. We could also get rid of glib 1 dependencies, at least on Windows.

I can provide patches for nmake and links to the libraries!

Best Regards,

Lars Roland