Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] GTK assertion failed on ONC-RPC statistics.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:47:11 -0800
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:39:31PM +0100, J.Smith wrote:
> Just downloaded and installed the 0.9.8 Windows build of Ethereal, and
> almost immediately experienced the following issue. When I load the attached
> tracefile 'crash.trace', and select "tools|statistics|onc-rpc|programs", I
> get the following error:
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1595 (gtk_widget_map): assertion
> `GTK_WIDGET_VISIBLE (widget) == TRUE' failed

I didn't see that warning from 0.9.8 on Windows 2000.

> The statistics for ONC-RPC do get displayed though, and ethereal continues
> to function. Can't be sure if the actual counts in the statistics window are
> correct though. Although this might be a problem with ethereal, because of
> the filename 'gtkwidget.c', I get the impression that we have found a GTK
> bug here?

GTK+ is reporting a problem; whether the problem it's reporting is the
result of a GTK+ bug or an Ethereal bug is another matter.

"gtk_widget_map()" isn't called by any Ethereal code, except by our
internal version of the CList widget (which is there because older
versions had a performance problem that significantly slowed down
don't have that problem) - but that's not used in the Windows version.

It's called internally from GTK+, but it might be having a problem as a
result of Ethereal doing something wrong.

> Should we look at ethereal to solve this, or start nagging the
> people that maintain the gtk port for Windows ?

I don't know whether the people (person, to be specific - Tor Lillqvist)
maintaining it are interested in 1.3.x bugs or not; he does offer it for
GTK 1.2[.x]-based apps.  I think we're also distributing an older
version of the 1.3.x build.