Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-users] Compiling problems with version 0.9.8 with H

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:18:47 +0100
Cc-ing etheral-dev as well, as the problem is related to the development
tools used.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:10:39AM +0200, Mika Kilpeläinen wrote:
> I have problems to get version 0.9.8 compiled on HP-UX.
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
>    version (code)
> Versions 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 worked fine without any modifications.
> Now I had no more ideas what to try next, but can anyone help?
> ./configure --with-pcap=/apps/tww/libpcap07 --with-glib-prefix=/apps/tww/glib12 --with-zlib=/apps/tww/zlib11 --disable-threads --prefix=/ddisks/tretools/hpux10/ethereal/v0.9.8

Interesting: I had access to a HP/UX 10.20 machine yesterday and ran into
the same problems (after figuring out where to find zlib and pcap - I didn't
manage to compile the gtk/X frontend, it failed during configure) and ran
into the same problem. I also created a logfile and looked into it this
morning during a trainjourney.
I was able to reproduce this problem using linux: just add --enable-static
--disble-shared to the configure options of a tarball configure.
It looks like the linking stages goes wrong: it links the dynamic .o files
instead of the -static.o files. This seems to be the result of using a
newer automake or autoconf or libtool to create the configure/Makefile files
than with the old versions you mention above. Thus the depencency mechanism
used to select the right .o files broke. Thus, this seems to be the same
problem you reported earlier.
I'm a bit busy for the next 2 days but as you asked the question just now
I decided to write down my findings so far.

 Ciao
     Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know