Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem building on win32

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:47:59 -0800
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:35:14AM -0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
> According to Source Navigator (and windows find) the only ?? places
> including winsock.h are Packet32.h and BPF.h in WinPCap,

According to my text editor, neither Packet32.h nor BPF.h in WinPcap
2.3's developer package include "winsock.h"; they both include
"winsock2.h".

If you have a version of the WinPcap developer's package wherein any of
the WinPcap header files include "winsock.h", you have a version of the
WinPcap developer's package with which it is impossible to compile
current versions of Ethereal.  If the currently installed version of
WinPcap on your machine is prior to 2.3, you must uninstall it and
install 2.3, and then remove the pre-2.3 WinPcap developer's package and
install the 2.3 version.  (Or you could install the 3.0 alpha WinPcap
and developer's package if you're feeling ambitious.)