Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 3D ICON for Win32 (And UCD-SNMP)

From: "Gordon McKinney" <gordon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:54:00 +0100
Nop, low tech solution. I used the 800x800 PNG that someone said was
available. I set the background to a dark grey (for anti-aliasing purposes),
resampled it, wrote the palette out, imported into VC++ (with palette
seperately) and there you have it.

I had to do a couple of pixel edits to sort out minor problems but on the
whole it was fairly easy. All I needed was a high-res original. Let me know
if you'd like me to generate other sizes but anyone should be able to do it
with Paintshop Pro and a bit of work.

BTW. The number of colours and size of icons means that 256 is more than
enough for this application of the icon. 64x64 may still be okay but beyond
that might become a problem. Windows doesn't support true-colour icons
easily (meaning VC++ doesn't support it immediately, probably a limitation
in the .res format). If you want true colour then your looking at repainting
the icon's DC directly and that means Win32 GUI calls, messy considering
dithering goes a long way to solving this with fewer problems.

I have done my first build of Ethereal this weekend after using this
excellent program for many months now. I am looking to improve Ethereal so I
am tackling the Win32 ucd-snmp build at the moment. I'll get back to you
once I have got it working and tested it.

--
Gordon McKinney
http://www.night-ray.com