Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Building&Running 0.8.16 under W2K

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gilramir@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:48:28 -0600
"Dr.-Ing. Gerrit Gehnen" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after a longer time only running precompiled versions I want to compile
> ethereal by myself under W2K for creating a plugin.
>
> But I'm facing two problems:
> 1. The linker of VC6.0 complains about a list of double defined symbols.
> They are located in LIBC.lib and LIBCMT.lib. The usual approach to add
> the /FORCE directive to the linker works, but it seems, that I have
> here some problematic configuration.

Which version of WinPcap are you using? The current Makefile.nmake's
are only known to work with WinPcap 2.0x

> 2. More important: After capturing ethereal can't load the captured
> file.
> In the function open_cap_file there is something wrong with the calls to
> the wiretap library.  wtap_open_offline() seems to generate a invalid
> filehandle.
> The precompiled version from www.ethereal.com works.

Did you change anything, like put wiretap into a DLL? The filehandle
problem happens if wiretap is a DLL and wiretap and ethereal both
use static versions of libc (the filehandles between different
instances of libc don't correspond).  If wiretap is not a DLL,
then thes shouldn't happen.

(Note, with the new WinPcap, I can finally make some changes so
that Wiretap, Ethereal, and WinPcap all use a shared version of
libc, so that wiretap can be made into a DLL)

--gilbert