Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Re: ethereal on AIX-4.3.2

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:43:59 -0800 (PST)
> I tried building libpcap with --with-pcap=dlpi. tcpdump seems to work,
> but when I run
>    # ethereal -i en0
> then the capture menu says
>    "There are no network interfaces that can be opened.
>     Please check to make sure you have sufficient permission
>     to capture packets."

Hmm.  Try applying the attached patch to "gtk/capture_dlg.c" (the change
is in CVS - as is a change to cause it to supply no list of interfaces
to the combo box in the capture dialog box, rather than to pop up that
message, if it can't manage to open any interfaces, so the user can at
least try to open the interfaces and see why it can't be done).
*** capture_dlg.c.dist	Wed Dec  1 16:05:24 1999
--- capture_dlg.c	Thu Dec 23 15:42:08 1999
***************
*** 457,463 ****
      /*
       * Skip interfaces that we can't open with "libpcap".
       */
!     pch = pcap_open_live(ifr->ifr_name, WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE, 0, 0, err_str);
      if (pch == NULL)
        goto next;
      pcap_close(pch);
--- 457,463 ----
      /*
       * Skip interfaces that we can't open with "libpcap".
       */
!     pch = pcap_open_live(ifr->ifr_name, MIN_PACKET_SIZE, 0, 0, err_str);
      if (pch == NULL)
        goto next;
      pcap_close(pch);