Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Re: ethereal on AIX-4.3.2

Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:45:03 +0100 (NFT)
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 Ciaran.Deignan@xxxxxxxx wrote:

(Our mail is down, but I got the replies on the mailing-list archive...)

> ethereal compiles and links cleanly (once I linked glib and gtk+
> manually), and opens a display when executed. The capture interface does
> capture packets (from en0), but almost all the packets are interpreted as
> Token-Ring packets instead of Ethernet.

In your reply you mentioned a README.aix, but its not on the archive.
Could you send it to me again, with ciaran.deignan@xxxxxxxxxxx in copy?

I tried building libpcap with --with-pcap=dlpi. tcpdump seems to work,
but when I run
   # ethereal -i en0
then the capture menu says
   "There are no network interfaces that can be opened.
    Please check to make sure you have sufficient permission
    to capture packets."

The dlpi driver is loaded:
   # strload -q -d dlpi
   dlpi: yes

I also tried using -i eth0 and -i dlpi with no difference.

> In addition the File->Save menu option causes several GTK error messages
> to be displayed and a core-dump is produced. I don't think the two
> problems are realated.

The workaround of removing the gktclist.o from libui.a appears to
resolve this question.

Thanks,
Ciaran

Ciaran Deignan                                Tel: (France) 04 76 29 79 92
BULL XS-BU (http://www-frec.bull.com)                 HA and Consolidation

Mail to: Ciaran.Deignan@xxxxxxxx                        Bullcom: 229 79 92
PGP: B1 78 FB 88 FD 86 58 A8  89 7B 22 8C D0 E8 71 FC       Fax: 229 75 18