Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Dynamic dissectors

From: Kojak <kojak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 01:04:10 +0100
Hi

It's the dark season again, so I have time for coding left. I thought
about picking up where I left off, at the dynamic port configuration
of ICQ.

Was a general consensus agreed on how to handle dynamic dissectors?

I couldn't find anything on this list (might have overlooked). I went
off with the plugin interface which was supposed (right?) to offer a
dynamic allocation service (at least, when looking at the dissect_tcp
function, it kinda gives that impression). However, I'm having a small
problem, I want to set a filter for the same dissector multiple
times. add_plugin, and plugin_release_filter don't offer me a way to
set a filter "tcp.port == a" and another "tcp.port == b". If I try to
mix it in one filter, I get a lot of bookkeeping when "tcp.port == a ||
tcp.port == b || ....". That's something I don't really fancy.

Another point, is there a way to get a "callback" when a file is
reloaded, or reanalysed? In that way I can clear the dissectors again.

Any thoughts?

Kojak
--
Kojak <kojak@xxxxxxxxxx>