Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal patches

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:55:40 -0800 (PST)
> > I.e., is there any point in offering the full panoply of filter editing
> > functions, *and* other preference editing functions, at that point?
>
> I'd say yes, for the same reasons you gave about the display options.

...although I'd still ask about the other preferences.

In fact, are filters really preferences?  The other stuff in Preferences
controls the default behavior of various bits of Ethereal, but the
filters is really a collection of filters you *can* apply, not filters
that are in effect by default.  Filters are also kept in a separate file
from preferences.

Perhaps there should be a separate dialog box popped up by the "Filter:"
buttons, and perhaps an "Edit:Filters" menu item to pop it up as well?

> I think that just having another button that says "Apply", and acts as an
> Ok and apply is probably a better idea.  I'll look into it.

"Apply" probably shouldn't act as OK-and-apply; "Apply" generally seems
to mean "do what this dialog box says to do, but don't dismiss the
dialog box, so I can see what it does, and tweak it if it doesn't do
what I really wanted".

The button should probably be omitted if it wouldn't actually do
anything (i.e., if E_FILT_TE_PTR_KEY isn't attached to the button that
"filter_prefs_ok()" would be handed).