Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] faking dissect_snmp...

From: Nathan Neulinger <nneul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 21:49:11 -0600
> (Long term, as I think I mentioned a while ago, we should build an SNMP
> dissector that doesn't use SNMP libraries to dissect packets - build it
> atop some ASN.1 code that could be used by *other* protocol dissectors,
> e.g. an LDAP dissector.  I have such a beast that seems to work, but it
> currently lacks any code to read MIB files....)

In what state is your ASN.1 code? The reason I ask is that it could be
of use to me for the krb5 dissector I was going to try and get written
at some point.

You might consider changing the code to use your code to do the SNMP
dissection, and then just use the SNMP libraries to do any MIB
extraction/parsing. That way, even without the SNMP libs, users will
still have a useful SNMP dissector.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul@xxxxxxx