Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] faking dissect_snmp...

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 18:36:33 -0800
> It might be worthwhile to have a fake SNMP dissector enabled when the SNMP
> libraries are not included. This would allow all of the other protocols that
> call dissect_snmp to not have to worry about whether the SNMP library is
> included in the code.

Done.  It simplified "Makefile.am" and "configure.in", as well as the
modules that call "dissect_snmp()" or "dissect_snmp_pdu()".

> Additionally, would be good to have a WITH_SNMP define, so that the other
> protocols don't have to check for multiple header defines.

None of the other protocols care any more whether we have an SNMP
library or not - they just call "dissect_snmp()" (or, in the case of
ATM, "dissect_snmp_pdu()", so it can label it as ILMI rather than SNMP),
which either dissects the SNMP packet as SNMP or as data, depending on
whether it has the libraries it needs to dissect it as SNMP or not.