Ethereal-dev: [ethereal-dev] Re: Null headers and decoding

Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:06:46 -0500 (EST)
I took a look at a couple of old W&G WAN capture files I had to see if the byte sequence you were seeing matched Cisco SLE (Serial Link Encapsulation) protocol, but the SLE stuff doesn't seem to have been saved in the files.
I had even put "wan" in the file names so I'm sure I was looking at the right captures.  A quick look via altavista didn't turn up any documentation on SLE's format, although I think it's a form of HDLC.

You might want to check around a little to see if what you're looking at is SLE, especially if you captured between two Cisco devices.

IIRC, I had to set up a "Custom" protocol stack in the Domino to get my network traffic decoded properly when using SLE.  This is something we may have to consider at some point in the future.  By custom, I think I had to specify from the lowest level that we were going to be looking at SLE, then Ethernet, IP, etc (I don't recall how far up I had to define the stack, although I'd think that Ethernet would be far enough).

Regards,

Phil Techau