Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] More routines in wiretap

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:28:59 -0800
> 2. A routine that takes a name like UNKNOWN, NULL, ETHERNET, etc and
> returns an encapsulation type, like WTAP_ENCAP_ETHERNET etc.

Done.  ("Unknown" isn't a supported type, it's just a place-holder for,
say, the per-file encapsulation type in a file whose file format has no
per-file encapsulation type, if we haven't yet seen any packets in the
file, and thus don't know what encapsulation type it has - which could
be WTAP_ENCAP_PER_PACKET, eventually - yet.)

We may want to arrange to list only the encapsulation types that can be
written with at least one of the supported output file types.

I've updated "editcap" to use the routines in question.