Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Re: [ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal capture.c ethertype.c

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:23:06 -0800 (PST)
> > Hmm - The problem is that i often work on X-Term and the updates
> > of the Capture stats produce extra packets you have in the logs.
>
> I don't quite understand your sentence above. Something is causing
> extra packets?

Yes.  Presumably "X-Term" here means "X terminal" rather than "xterm";
i.e., he's not running Ethereal on the machine to which the display is
attached, so when Ethereal updates the capture statistics window, that
update involves network traffic between the machine on which Ethereal is
running and his X terminal.

Now, one could argue that we should then dissect the extra packets....
(That, alas, involves trying to guess the byte order from the packets; X
doesn't use a standard byte order, it negotiates one at connection setup
time - I forget whether it uses the client's or the server's byte order.)