Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Copyright(C) 1998

From: Warren Young <tangent@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 05:21:54 -0700
Guy Harris wrote:

> source files (hex A9), but I don't know whether we can guarantee that
> everybody who edits Ethereal source code will be using ISO 8859-1 as
> their character set - I suspect not.

I hope the ISO 8859-x standards are interoperable?  In that case, 0xA9
should be the copyright symbol in all variations.  If we can assume that
family of character sets, then all we have to do to make everyone happy
is use \xA9 instead of a literal hex A9 byte in the source.

Or if you must, use a %c format specifier with a printf-type function,
and use 0xA9 for the corresponding argument.

No need to stray from 7-bit clean sources....

> I suspect "(c)" is probably good enough.

Case law, last I heard, is inconclusive.  The word "copyright" alone is
actually good enough, but adding the symbol is even better, especially
for a program used internationally.

See the Copyright FAQ.  www.faqs.org.
--
= Warren Young: www.cyberport.com/~tangent |   Yesterday it worked.
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040N, 108.0204086W, | Today it is not working.