Ethereal-dev: Re: [ethereal-dev] Should the title bar give the name of the current capture fi

From: Warren Young <tangent@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 05:13:10 -0700
Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

> That's a tough decision. Both below look okay:
>
> Ethereal: nfsproblem.cap
>
> nfsproblem.cap [Ethereal]

The Windows 95 style guidelines, FWIW, specify the style "filename -
Program Name", maninly because buttons on the Start bar only show so
much info.  Many X window managers and desktop environments show similar
app lists, and thus have the same problem, so the solution should be the
same, too.

(Yes, I know some of Microsoft's own apps ignore this rule, including MS
Word 95 and 97.  This is something new?  I gather that Office 2000 gets
this right, finally, but I'm not 100% sure, as I'm not paid-up on my
Microsoft taxes at the moment.)

> What are the color limitations for an icon?

Please use the visible-light part of the EM spectrum.  <rimshot>

Seriously, GNOME for one doesn't care: it'll use anything up to 24-bit
truecolor images; one day, it'll do 24-bit images with an 8-bit alpha
channel.  If the X server can't handle that, I'm pretty sure it'll
dither it down properly.

You might also want to do a 16-color icon, but _which_ 16 colors seems
to be less well-defined for X than for, say, Windows or the Mac.
--
= Warren Young: www.cyberport.com/~tangent |   Yesterday it worked.
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040N, 108.0204086W, | Today it is not working.