Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
The following bugs have been fixed:
- HTTP2 dissector decodes first SSL record only. Bug 11173.
- Undocumented sub-option for -N option in man page and tshark -N help. Bug 14826.
- Mishandling of Port Control Protocol option padding. Bug 14950.
- MGCP: parameter lines are case-insensitive. Bug 15008.
- details of 2nd sub-VSA in bundled RADIUS VSA are incorrect. Bug 15073.
- Heuristic DPLAY dissector fails to recognize DPLAY packets. Bug 15092.
- gsm_rlcmac_dl dissector exception. Bug 15112.
- Buildbot crash output: fuzz-2018-09-07-29306.pcap. Bug 15119.
- Wildcard expansion doesn’t work on Windows 10 for command-line programs in cmd.exe or PowerShell. Bug 15151.
- SSL Reassembly Error New fragment past old data limits. Bug 15158.
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.