Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
- Arbitrary file deletion on Windows. (Bug 13217)
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Saving all exported objects (SMB/SMB2) results in out of physical memory. (Bug 11133)
- Export HTTP Objects - Single file shows as multiple files in 2.0.2. (Bug 12230)
- Follow Stream and graph buttons remain greyed out in conversation window. (Bug 12893)
- Dicom list of tags in element of VR=AT not properly decoded. (Bug 13077)
- Malformed Packet: BGP Update (withdraw) message. (Bug 13146)
- Install fail on macOS Sierra (error PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112). (Bug 13152)
- GTP: "Create PDP Context response" message shows back-off timer as malformed when included in the response. (Bug 13153)
- ICMP dissector fails to properly detect timestamps. (Bug 13161)
- RLC misdissection. (Bug 13162)
- Text2pcap on Windows produces corrupt output when writing the capture file to the standard output. (Bug 13165)
- HTML escaping of quotes in error message. (Bug 13178)
- TShark doesn’t respect protocols.display_hidden_proto_items setting. (Bug 13192)
- RPC/RDMA dissector should exit when frame is not RPC-over-RDMA. (Bug 13195)
- Some RPC-over-RDMA frames are not recognized as RPC-over-RDMA. (Bug 13196)
- RPC-over-RDMA frames with chunk lists are "Malformed". (Bug 13197)
- TShark fails to pass RPC-over-RDMA frames to RPC subdissector. (Bug 13198)
- Adding a DOF DPS Identity Secret, session Key, or Mode Template causes Wireshark to crash. (Bug 13209)
- Wireshark shows "MS Video Source Request" in a RTCP packet as "Malformed". (Bug 13212)
BGP, BOOTP/DHCP, BTLE, DICOM, DOF, Echo, GTP, ICMP, Radiotap, RLC, RPC over RDMA, RTCP, SMB, TCP, UFTP4, and VXLAN
There is no new or updated capture file support in this release.
There are no new or updated capture interfaces supported in this release.
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.
- WLAN packet capture and transmission
- Full 802.11 a/b/g/n support
- View management, control and data frames
- Multi-channel aggregation (with multiple adapters)