Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
The following bugs have been fixed:
- "tshark -G ?" doesn’t provide expected help. (Bug 13984)
- packet-knxnetip.c:936: bad bitmask ?. (Bug 14115)
- packet-q931.c:1306: bad compare ?. (Bug 14116)
- Wireshark crashes when exporting various files to .csv, txt and other ‘non-capture file’ formats. (Bug 14128)
- Wireshark prefers packet.dll in System32\Npcap over the one in System32. (Bug 14134)
- PEEKREMOTE dissector does not decode 11ac MCS rates properly. (Bug 14136)
- Wireshark Crash when trying to use Preferences | Advanced. (Bug 14157)
- Right click on SMB2 Message ID and then Apply as Column causes Runtime Error!. (Bug 14169)
- Wireshark crashes if "rip.display_routing_domain" is set to TRUE in preferences file. (Bug 14197)
- Entry point inflatePrime not found for androiddump.exe and randpktdump.exe. (Bug 14207)
- Frame direction isn’t always set if it comes from the pcapng record header rather than the packet pseudo-header. (Bug 14245)
3GPP NAS, CIP Safety, IWARP_MPA, KNXnet/IP, NetBIOS, PEEKREMOTE, Q.931, and RIP
There is no new or updated capture file support in this release.
There are no new or updated capture interfaces supported in this release.
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.
- WLAN packet capture and transmission
- Full 802.11 a/b/g/n support
- View management, control and data frames
- Multi-channel aggregation (with multiple adapters)