Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
CORBA IDL dissector crash on 64-bit Windows. (Bug 12495)
PacketBB crash. (Bug 12577)
WSP infinite loop. (Bug 12594)
RLC long loop. (Bug 12660)
LDSS dissector crash. (Bug 12662)
RLC dissector crash. (Bug 12664)
OpenFlow long loop. (Bug 12659)
MMSE, WAP, WBXML, and WSP infinite loop. (Bug 12661)
WBXML crash. (Bug 12663)
The following bugs have been fixed:
- T30 FCF byte decoding masks DTC, CIG and NCS. (Bug 1918)
- TShark crashes with option "-z io,stat,…" in the presence of negative relative packet timestamps. (Bug 9014)
- Packet size limited during capture msg is repeated in the Info column. (Bug 9826)
- Wireshark loses windows decorations on second screen when restarting maximized using GNOME. (Bug 11303)
- Cannot launch GTK+ version of wireshark as a normal user. (Bug 11400)
- Restart current capture fails with "no interface selected" error when capturing in promiscuous mode. (Bug 11834)
- Add field completion suggestions when adding a Display filter or Y Field to the IO Graph. (Bug 11899)
- Wireshark Qt always indicates locale as "C". (Bug 11960)
- Wireshark crashes every time open Statistics → Conversations | Endpoints. (Bug 12288)
- Find function within the conversations window does not work. (Bug 12363)
- Invalid values for USB SET_REQUEST packets. (Bug 12511)
- Display filter dropdown hides cursor. (Bug 12520)
- Filter for field name tcp.options.wscale.multiplier cannot exceed 255. (Bug 12525)
- Ctrl+ shortcuts that are not text-related do not work when focus is on display filter field. (Bug 12533)
- Closing Statistics window results in black screen. (Bug 12544)
- OSPF: Incorrect description of N/P-bit in NSSA LSA. (Bug 12555)
- Inconsistent VHT data rate. (Bug 12558)
- DCE/RPC malformed error when stub-data is missing but a sub-dissector has been registered. (Bug 12561)
- Wireshark is marking BGP FlowSpec NLRI as malformed if NLRI length is larger than 239 bytes. (Bug 12568)
- "Edit Resolved Name" is not saved in current pcapng file. (Bug 12629)
- MPTCP: MP_JOIN B bit not decoded correctly. (Bug 12635)
- MPTCP MP_PRIO header with AddrID: incorrect AddrID. (Bug 12641)
802.11 Radiotap, BGP, CAN, CANopen, H.248 Q.1950, IPv4, IPv6, LANforge, LDSS, MPTCP, OSPF, PacketBB, PRP, RLC, RMT-FEC, RSVP, RTP MIDI, T.30, TDS, USB, WAP, WBXML, WiMax RNG-RSP, and WSP
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Hex pane display issue after startup. (Bug 4056)
Packet list rows are oversized. (Bug 4357)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
The 64-bit version of Wireshark will leak memory on Windows when the display depth is set to 16 bits (Bug 9914)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.
- WLAN packet capture and transmission
- Full 802.11 a/b/g/n support
- View management, control and data frames
- Multi-channel aggregation (with multiple adapters)