Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
LDSS dissector crash (Bug 13346)
RTMTP dissector infinite loop (Bug 13347)
WSP dissector infinite loop (Bug 13348)
STANAG 4607 file parser infinite loop (Bug 13416)
NetScaler file parser infinite loop (Bug 13429)
NetScaler file parser crash (Bug 13430)
K12 file parser crash (Bug 13431)
IAX2 dissector infinite loop (Bug 13432)
NetScaler file parser infinite loop (Bug 12083)
The 32-bit and 64-bit Windows installers might have been susceptible to a DLL hijacking flaw.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Wireshark crashes when saving pcaps, opening pcaps, and exporting specified packets. (Bug 12036)
- editcap segfault if a packet length is shorter than ignore bytes parameter. (Bug 13378)
- UMTS MAC Dissector shows Packet size limited for BCCH payload. (Bug 13392)
- Dumpcap crashes during rpcap setup. (Bug 13418)
- Crash on closing SNMP capture file if snmp credentials are present. (Bug 13420)
- GPRS-NS message PDU type displayed in octal instead of hexadecimal. (Bug 13428)
GPRS-NS, LDSS, MS-WSP, OpcUa, ROHC, RTMTP, SNMP, STANAG 4607, UMTS FP, and WSP
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.
- WLAN packet capture and transmission
- Full 802.11 a/b/g/n support
- View management, control and data frames
- Multi-channel aggregation (with multiple adapters)