Table of Contents
- 1. What is Wireshark?
- 2. What’s New
- 3. Getting Wireshark
- 4. File Locations
- 5. Known Problems
- 6. Getting Help
- 7. Frequently Asked Questions
Wireshark is the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development and education.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Duplicated Interfaces instances while refreshing. (Bug 11553)
- Time zone name needs to be converted to UTF-8 on Windows. (Bug 11785)
- Crash on fast local interface changes. (Bug 12263)
- SMTP BDAT dissector not reverting to command-code after DATA. (Bug 13030)
- Wireshark fails to recognize V6 DBS Etherwatch capture files. (Bug 13093)
- PPP BCP BPDU size reports not header size, but all data underneath and its header size in UI. (Bug 13188)
- Uninitialized memcmp on data in daintree-sna.c. (Bug 13246)
- UDLD flags are at other end of octet. (Bug 13280)
- MS-WSP dissector no longer works since commit 8c2fa5b5cf789e6d0d19cd0dd34479d0203d177a. (Bug 13299)
- TBCD string decoded wrongly in MAP ATI message. (Bug 13316)
- Filter Documentation: The tilde (~) operator is not documented. (Bug 13320)
There is no new or updated capture file support in this release.
Daintree SNA, and DBS Etherwatch
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html.
Most Linux and Unix vendors supply their own Wireshark packages. You can usually install or upgrade Wireshark using the package management system specific to that platform. A list of third-party packages can be found on the download page on the Wireshark web site.
Wireshark and TShark look in several different locations for preference files, plugins, SNMP MIBS, and RADIUS dictionaries. These locations vary from platform to platform. You can use About→Folders to find the default locations on your system.
Dumpcap might not quit if Wireshark or TShark crashes. (Bug 1419)
The BER dissector might infinitely loop. (Bug 1516)
Capture filters aren’t applied when capturing from named pipes. (Bug 1814)
Filtering tshark captures with read filters (-R) no longer works. (Bug 2234)
Application crash when changing real-time option. (Bug 4035)
Wireshark and TShark will display incorrect delta times in some cases. (Bug 4985)
Wireshark should let you work with multiple capture files. (Bug 10488)
Dell Backup and Recovery (DBAR) makes many Windows applications crash, including Wireshark. (Bug 12036)
Community support is available on Wireshark’s Q&A site and on the wireshark-users mailing list. Subscription information and archives for all of Wireshark’s mailing lists can be found on the web site.
Official Wireshark training and certification are available from Wireshark University.
A complete FAQ is available on the Wireshark web site.