Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture interface preferences?

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 01:42:54 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris <guy@...> writes:

> Would it be preferable to remember the settings from session to session,
so that if you quit and restart
> Wireshark, it defaults to the settings from the previous capture?

In some cases, it may be preferable; in other cases, maybe not.  I can see
the potential for confusion here.  Perhaps a new preference to enable this
behavior or not, with the default not to save them in order to remain
backward-compatible?

> If so, is there any reason to keep the preferences?  The preferences are
also used as the defaults for TShark,
> so getting rid of the preferences would mean that you couldn't set its
defaults; it could use the last
> settings from Wireshark, but that might be a little surprising.  Note that
changing the preferences
> without using Wireshark means manually editing the preferences file and/or
some other files.

If a new preference is added to control whether or not to save the selected
capture preferences and per-interface preferences, then if disabled, the
default preferences would still be useful.