Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark 1.6 not starting up any more under a PPC G5 comp

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:04:38 -0700
On Aug 9, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

> I just upgraded via MacPorts to wireshark 1.6 and it no longer starts up.  Here's the output of a series of commands I entered in Terminal as well as in a Terminal window under X11 which used to fire up wireshark without any problems:
>
> bash-3.2$ sudo wireshark

$ cat doc/README.packaging

3. Privileges.

In versions up to and including 0.99.6, it was necessary to run
Wireshark with elevated privileges in order to be able to capture
traffic. With version 0.99.7, all function calls that require elevated
privileges have been moved out of the GUI to dumpcap.

WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER TWO MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN
THEM AS ROOT.

> bash-3.2$ echo $DISPLAY
> :0
> bash-3.2$ xhost +
> xhost:  unable to open display ":0"

That's not a Wireshark bug; neither Xquartz nor xhost are part of Wireshark.

You'll need to figure out what's wrong with X11 on your machine.