Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] additions to wireshark GUI

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:58:34 -0700

On Sep 8, 2009, at 8:18 AM, יוני תובל wrote:

i have created a dissector dll . now , i want to add a button to the wireshark GUI is it possible to make changes to the GUI through the dissector Code (in the packet-xxx file) ?

The only GUI changes that can be made from a dissector are changes to the preferences GUI - and that's done by registering preferences, which show up in the GUI; general changes to the GUI cannot be made from a dissector.

i mean , does Wireshark  expose a GUI API ?

Some amount of GUI is exposed through the Lua interpreter in versions of Wireshark that have the Lua interpreter built in.

i dont what to make the changes in the source code and compile wireshark .
Does wire shark enable developers to add "GUI plugins " of some sort ?

You could make a "tap" plugin, for example, for statistics.

What do you want the button to do?