Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture Filter

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:49:40 -0700

On Oct 14, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Michael Condon wrote:

I am pretty sure that I have my capture filter set right - but obviously not. I want to capture all traffic to a particular IP address. However, it is only capturing traffic (such as an ICMP request) between my machine and that IP. How can I open this up to all source/dst traffic

If you're capturing on Ethernet, make sure all the machines from which you want to capture are plugged into a hub rather than a switch, or that they're plugged into a switch with support for a "monitor port" and plug your machine into that port, and run in promiscuous mode:

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q7.1

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/SwitchReference