Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Debugging on XP

From: "Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:50:31 +0400
Hi Khurram,

Here are the steps I follow:
- Start Visual C++
- Open the source code of the dissector (or any other source file) you
want to debug.
- Set a break point at the (approximate) point of the code where you
thing the problem is. This can be done by clicking in the left margin
(a red globe should appear).
- Start WS (which should have been compiled using the same code).
- In VC++, go to Debug > Attach to Process and select Wireshark.
- Now in WS, open the capture which causes the issue you want to debug.

 At some point, WS should stop working and VC++ will come to the
foreground with the execution having stopped at the breakpoint. From
then on, you can step through the execution of the code using Debug >
Step Into or Step Over. You can create watches on variable to see
their values or simply move the pointer over variable and a pop-up
should show its value.

To stop debugging, Debug > Stop Debugging.

More information should be available on the MSDN site or in VC++ help.
I can't claim to be a Windows programmer, but this works for me and I
have been able to find bugs and fixes for the limited WS programming
that I do.

HTH
Abhik.