Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Newbie question about capture point

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:18:35 -0700
I haven't kept up on all aspects of current cards, but this was not the
case historically - with the exception of 3Com, who has been blocking
datalink errors for years.I haven't kept current with the last generation
or so, about when gigabit became common. When I looked into TOE cards a
few years ago the TOE feature could be disabled (one issue was ENABLING it
for some OSes!); IIRC the checksum offloading could be disabled as well.
Still, getting to fully promiscuous capture isn't easy - support is
required right up the line. If you really need to see all datalink errors
these days a hardware analyzer is probably best.
Randy Grein
Network Engineer

"Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/29/2007 08:51 AM
Please respond to
Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Community support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [Wireshark-users] Newbie question about capture point

I might be wrong, but I don't think many OSes and network cards do provide

corrupted packets (wrong FCS or link layer errors) even when put into
promiscuous mode. This is because usually the MAC chip on the cards
discards
them without even moving them to host memory (for performance reasons).
Also, consider that one of the issues is that newer network cards perform
lot of processing (TCP offloading, or checksum computation, just to name
two
of them) directly in hardware. Capturing the packets that actually get
transmitted on the network is much harder in this case, as the OS (hence
WinPcap) sees the packets that are sent from host to the network card, not

the packets that actually get transmitted.

Hope it helps
GV