Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Building for WinXP and Win2K

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:40:13 +0100
Andy.Ling@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> As it's not a dependency problem, it comes back to the actual exe again.
>  Can
>> you try running tshark.exe from a cmd prompt and if it exhibits the same
>> problem, zip it up and send it to me directly.
>>

> Yes, tshark goes wrong, so sent in a separate email
>
> Andy Ling

Looking at the PE headers in Andy's broken one and a working one, the broken
one has the subsystem version set at 5.01 which is XP or later.  The working
one has 5.0 which is W2K or later.

The wireshark makefiles don't set a subsystem version number so I presume that
something in the build environment is causing it.  In Andy's case this is
likely to have been the use of the W2K3 server SDK.  According to MSDN the
linker should default to 3.10 for x86 and 5.01 for Itanium.

We can (hopefully) prevent this by sticking a version number on the end of the
subsystem switch supplied to the linker, e.g. /subsystem:windows,5.0

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice