Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] analysing HTTP latencies

From: "Rohit Grover" <rgrover1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:20:04 +1200
Hi,

I need to measure HTTP request/response latencies for a busy web
server. I intend to deploy a packet sniffer on a network path through
which all traffic for the server passes. The data collected from
packet sniffing would be used to build a database request/response
latencies in batch mode. Can I use wireshark's protocol analysers to
ease the parsing of HTTP requests in batch mode?

I discovered a suite of Perl moduesl under Net::Analysis which seem
useful for this task. Does anyone have other recommendations?

Incidentally, upon viewing a simple HTTP dialogue using wireshark, I
noticed that the server's first HTTP response datagram wasn't tagged
by wireshark as HTTP. I'm quite sure I'm missing something because a
something of this sort can't go un-noticed if it is a bug.

Thanks in advance for all the replies,
Rohit.