Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Please help with difference between packets "lost" and "droppe

From: Adam Harding <adam.harding2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:49:08 +0100
Please could someone help me to understand RTP Packet Loss in Wireshark!

Does the Packet Loss percentage in RTP analysis mean packets lost in in the network before they reach Wireshark? If so how does Wireshark know they got lost then?

How can I differentiate between packets lost due to the network and packets dropped by the application due to jitter at the recieving end? Does the sequence errors help show me any of this at all?

Many thanks,

Adam Harding

ps. Does anyone know of a plug in or some way I can get RTP player to support the GSM 06.10 codec? Cheers.