Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark 802.11 WPA Decryption unable to get Group Keys

From: "Soh Kam Yung" <sohkamyung@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:57:34 +0800
On 2/28/07, Fernando <feccsp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kam,

how do you capture data with WinXp and Wireshark?
I have wireshark in my laptop but I not capture data with my card (Intel
Pro/Wireless 2915ABG).  My laptop is Centrino technology.

Thank's for tour help.

On 2/28/07, Soh Kam Yung <sohkamyung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am using Wireshark Version 0.99.5 on Windows XP (SP2) to examine
> captured 802.11 packets on a network that is using either WPA or WPA-2
> PSK security.
> [...]

Sorry, but I didn't capture data on WinXP with Wireshark: I only
examined the data on the platform.  I used a Thinkpad Laptop running
Ubuntu linux to capture the data (via tcpdump) using a Wi-Fi PC-Card.
I then transferred the capture file to a WinXP PC to examine the
capture with Wireshark.

(And if you're wondering about this strange arrangement, it is because
I am running an older version of Ubuntu (6.06) that does not appear to
have a binary Wireshark package available.)

Anyway, back to my question: is decrypting the WPA group keys a
problem in Wireshark?  If yes, I can file some bug reports (one for
WPA, one for WPA-2 as the group key decryption issue is slightly
different in each case) with sample captures.

Regards,
Kam-Yung
--
Soh Kam Yung