Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [patch] drop privs in dumpcap if run setuid by non-root

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:56:50 -0800

On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Hank Leininger wrote:

Hm, I'm afraid I'm too much of a wireshark n00b to know what you mean by
'capture live list'.

I think he means the list of interfaces on which you can capture.

I didn't find anything by that name in the 0.99.5
sources.  Anyway, are these cases where you know there is some design
problem with migrating them to using dumpcap, or just cases where the
migration work isn't done yet, but is somewhere on the roadmap?

There's no inherent problem with doing that in dumpcap; there needs to be a way to ask dumpcap to give a list of interfaces (written to the standard output) in a form that Wireshark can use to generate the drop- down list of interfaces.

Note that this format will probably change over time, as it also needs to supply interface properties, and the list of interface properties will probably grow over time.