Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP out of order segments

From: "Luis Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:46:38 +0100
two probable causes come to my mind:

* some packet of a sequence gets lost in the way, it is retransmitted
and gets there after all the rest.
 (in this case you should see many retransmitted packets as well).

* there are two different network paths between client and server one
of which is faster, traffic is load balanced and some packets go
through the fastest path while others go through the slower one, so
for example if  packetA comes before packetB but packetB takes the
fastest path packetB could get there before packetA and that would be
reported as an "Out of order packet".

If possible you should compare captures taken at the client and the
server to have a better perspective on what the symptoms are.

Luis