Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark ssl decryption for dummies

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:15:46 +1000

On 9/14/06, Andrew Schweitzer <a.schweitzer.grps@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can't seem to get it to decode the first one into a new plugin. If I
replace "data" with "new_plugin" (the actual name of the new plugin),
this (line 1455 in my version of the packet-ssl-utils.c ) returns NULL:

ssl_association_add(...)
   assoc->handle = find_dissector(protocol);

Is that because the "new_plugin" hasn't been loaded yet when this is
called? Is there a way around this?

probably is.   probably are.

first make sure that your dissector registers itself by name:
register_dissector("new_plugin", dissect_new_plugin, proto_new_plugin);

this has to happen before the ssl_association_add() is called for it to work.

then as a workaround try to go to the ssl preferences and just re-save/re-apply the preferences to force ssl to re-read and reapply the preferences   and maybe now it will find your dissector.