Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Failed for master-1.10: [Automatic manuf, services and enter

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:34:58 -0400
Master and master-1.8 worked because iana.org happened to return valid
data when make-sminmpec.pl was run for those branches. It redirected the
enterprise numbers URL to an XHTML page for master-1.10. Testing the URL
by hand returned valid data sometimes and a redirect to the XHTML page
at other times.

It seems to have stabilized, but in a bad state. The "PRIVATE ENTERPRISE
NUMBERS" link on

http://www.iana.org/protocols

points to

http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers/enterprise-numbers.xhtml

which points to

http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers/enterprise-numbers.txt

for the plain text version of the file. That link currently hangs.
Removing the ".txt" extension returns the plain text contents. I sent an
email to IANA reporting the problem.

If the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry page is
anything to go on, the extensionless enterprise number URL will break at
some point. We had to fix make-services.pl back in August accordingly
(g5aeec1d).