Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Tshark Temp files

From: Philip Heady <pheady@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:38:10 -0500
Good afternoon:

I have a question about the temp files that wireshark/tshark creates in /tmp/wiresharkXXXXX*.

In version 1.0.15 these temp files are not generated, however in version 1.2.15 they are, and we don't want any temp files left over. Nor do I want to have to run a cron script to delete these daily.

Any idea why I am seeing this behavior in these two versions? They both allow the -w flag, however we are not using this flag to control output to file.

I see that we may need to use -b <caption ring bugger option> option which should discard temp files once they fill up the buffer, and generate new ones after.

So not sure why 1.0.15 is not creating tmp files, and why 1.2.15. Probably due to a different pcap library.

If you could provide some insight or explanation on which version, and/or commands to use that would be most appreciated. Should we upgrade to the latest stable 1.10.x?

Thanks,
Philip H.

--

Philip Heady | Systems Engineer

Prolexic Technologies | DDoS Attacks End Here.
1930 Harrison Street, Suite 403 | Hollywood, Florida 33020