Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Provision to filter the packets based on the value of specif

From: Mrunal Upadhyay <m.upadhyay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:55:02 -0500
Hi

Yes that is absolutely correct. It would have been great if the users
can filter the packets from the UI screen itself just by filtering from
the UI on the basis of the protocol value. And if I need to do it for
a custom dissector are there any ways to do it?

Thank You,

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 14:33:18 -0600

 If I understand correctly, you are proposing that Wireshark have the
ability to right click on the contents of the Protocol column and select
"Apply As Filter" then "Selected", which currently says "Could not
acquire information to build a filter!  Try expanding or choosing
another item." which does work if you click on, for example, "Domain
Name System (response)" and do "Apply As Filter" then "Selected", right?

Dear All,

I have created a custom dissector that helps in dissecting the packets belonging to that protocol. Now I have 2,3 protocols defined in the same plugin file. Is it possible to filter the packets based on a specific protocol value By right clicking on the protocol and applying it as filter. Currently it is not supported in the Wireshark implementation for the Protocol column. It will be great if anyone has any ideas of the changes that I need to make to enable the filtering based on the protocol value for the Protocol column.

Thank You,