Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Eliminate annoying color filter dialog

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:08:53 -0500
Chris Maynard wrote:
Well, that's essentially what we've got.  The warning would now be printed in
the console window, assuming the user has configured his preferences such that
"Open a console window" is not set to "Never".  Of course, this is currently a
"Windows-only" preference, but is there any reason why it couldn't be added for
all platforms?  That would give all users the choice of whether or not they
wanted to see these warnings or not.

*NIX users effectively already have that, but not as a Wireshark option:

1) Start Wireshark from Applications->Internet->Wireshark (on Fedora) --> stdout/stderr goes to oblivion

2) Start Wireshark from the command line --> stdout/stderr is visible

[3) Start Wireshark from the command line while redirecting output elsewhere...]

I imagine changing (1) to behave more like it can on Windows would be more of a challenge than it is worth, but then again I always start Wireshark from the command line.