Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 34856: /trunk/gtk/ /trunk/gtk/:?CMak

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:37:34 +0100
On 11/16/2010 02:48 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:53:19PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
  Add text import capability, like text2pcap, directly into the GUI.

Is this completley new code or does it share the analysis of the input
file with text2pcap?

It's a text2pcap based development, the analysis code is attributed to
Ashok Narayanan.

OK, I looked it up. What I don't understand is why the existing code
wasn't changed to be used by both use cases but copied+modified
instread.

Ciao
  Joerg

Hi,

The main reason is that the original code is made for stand alone, run-once operation, while the new code is made for GUI integrated, repeated use.

Although this has little influence on the lex, the module containing the state machine itself had to be stripped and modified extensively to use wiretap and already available checksum routines.

Thanks,
Jaap