Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Diameter xml files, duplication of an AVP

From: Tamás Regõs <Tamas.Regos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:57:10 +0800
Hello,

My question is about handling duplicated AVPs.

Let's say I'd like to change an AVP type from Octetstring to UTF8String.

I can do it easily with changing it in the xml file:

  <avp name="3GPP-CG-IPv6-Address" code="14" mandatory="must" may-encrypt="yes" protected="may" vendor-bit="must" vendor-id="TGPP">
   <type type-name="OctetString"/>
  </avp>

  <avp name="3GPP-CG-IPv6-Address" code="14" mandatory="must" may-encrypt="yes" protected="may" vendor-bit="must" vendor-id="TGPP">
   <type type-name="UTF8String"/>
  </avp>

But I don't want to change the original xml files, I'd duplicate the AVP in Ericsson.xml just for the changes (or an new xml file can be added too). It's easier to maintain it in case there is an update in the WS xml files.

For example, instead of changing 3GPP-CG-IPv6-Address in TGPPGmb.xml, I'd create a changes.xml and add duplicated this AVP there (or in Ericsson.xml), plus I'd add changes.xml to (at the end of the list).

The current implementation stores the first occurance of every AVPs but I'd like to keep the last one.

This scenario is valid for applications too.

 <application id="16777224" name="3GPP Gx(Obsolete)" uri="http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/29210.htm">
 </application>

I'd like to change the name of this application to "3GPP Gx rel 6". Either:

- I ask for update in WS (which can be declined) or

- I change it in my local xml file (can be difficult to maintain it if I always install the latest stable release or I use the svn version and compile it) or

- I duplicate it as I mentioned above.

Please comment.

Is it worth changing the code for this?

FYI, the code change is really simple, only few lines need to be added in packet-diameter.c (diff attached).

Regards,

Tamas

line

TAMAS REGOS - IP Networks (Packet Core, SACC, EPC)
Experienced Service Engineer

Customer Unit Australia & New Zealand (CU ANZA)
Region South East Asia and Oceania (RASO)

Ericsson Australia Pty. Ltd.
818 Bourke St
Docklands, VIC, 3008, Australia
Phone +61 3 9301 1519