Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Encapsulated IP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:25:26 -0700
On Sep 20, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Ronald Howe wrote:

> The col_set_writable does not seem to make a difference in the source and destination address

Nope.  The columns are set based on the addresses set by SET_ADDRESS, and we do not allow a dissector to prevent another dissector from setting the address (if your dissector were to prevent the IP dissector from setting the address, that would violate assumptions, made by dissectors running atop IP and atop dissectors themselves running atop IP, that they can fetch the source and destination IP addresses for the IP datagram that directly contained them).