Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] expert_add_info_format() usage with undecoded/unknown data

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:10:52 +0100
Hi,

I'm developing new gadu-gadu dissector (see bug #3256),
I'm also developer of gadu-gadu protocol library - libgadu,
so it'll be nice if sniffer (i.e. wireshark) notify me about new stuff in protocol
(for instance when magic field change, or when we receive packet longer
than suspected)

expert_add_info_format(..., PI_UNDECODED, PI_WARN, "Foo happens!");
/* by the way is PI_WARN good severity? */

works nice, however I'd like this packet to be hightlight in packet list
without expading tree, (yes, I know about Expert Info window)

I thought about creating some field hf_gg_unknown (gg.unknown) set it
when something unknown happens.
and inside GUI add new coloring rule, when gg.unknown = 1, paint it with
red background.

Is this acceptable method? Or am I'm inventing the wheel and I can
highlight packets (not only fields in tree) with 'expert data' with some
configuration option?